Immediate supervisor: Custodian Coordinator
Brief description: Custodian is responsible for cleaning assigned buildings from top to bottom, side to side, including lounges, kitchens, public and private restrooms, stairs, halls, custodian closets, windows, doors and walls. Must be able to use a variety of cleaning products and to operate equipment including vacuums, carpet extractors, slow and high speed buffers.
Work Assignments and Schedules
Custodians may be assigned to any buildings, projects and work schedules as needed and work assignments and schedules may change at any time.
- Perform day-to-day custodial functions as assigned to assure that facility is maintained in a clean, safe and comfortable manner.
- Clean/polish furnishings, fixtures, ledges, etc.
- Clean and sanitize restroom fixtures, hardware, partitions, floors, etc.
- Clean windows/mirrors in bathrooms and entrance/exit ways.
- Clean floors, to include sweeping, dusting, damp/wet mopping, stripping, waxing and buffing as scheduled.
- Clean carpets, to include vacuuming, shampooing, extracting, etc.
- Clean walls and ceilings by washing, wiping, dusting and spot cleaning, etc.
- Clean hallways, stairways and elevators.
- Care for and clean entrances of assigned buildings.
- Discard waste/trash into proper containers and reline trash receptacles.
- Assure that work/assignment areas are clean and that equipment is properly stored at all times.
- Relieve, assist or fill in temporarily on other jobs as assigned by supervisor.
- Set up tables, chairs, meeting rooms as directed.
- Attend departmental and staff meetings as directed.
- Attend and participate in in-service educational classes, on-the-job training programs, etc as scheduled or directed.
Safety and Sanitation
- Assure that assigned work areas are maintained in a clean, safe, comfortable and attractive manner.
- Responsible for reading labels and MSDS sheets on all cleaning supplies before using and following.
- Report any damage to facility through work order system.
Equipment and Supply Functions
- Assure that equipment is cleaned and properly stored at the end of the shift.
- Assist others in lifting heavy equipment, supplies, etc. as directed or requested.
- Assure that an adequate supply of housekeeping supplies to perform daily tasks ae maintained in utility/janitorial closets and keep supervisor informed of supply needs.
- Clean work/supply carts, equipment etc. as directed.
- Compliance with COVID vaccination policies required.
- High school diploma or equivalent degree required.
- Ability to read, write and understand written labels and directions.
- ability and willingness to follow work directions and safety rules, including use of personal protective equipment.
- Following training, must be able to work without constant supervision.
- Must maintain neat appearance.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license and a driving record in compliance with College driving policies.
- Requires flexibility and dependability, and ability and willingness to work cooperatively as part of a team.
- Ability and willingness to work assigned schedule, including occasional weekends or evening hours as assigned.
- Must be physically able to move within and between campus buildings and to regularly perform very active work for daily eight hour shifts; to walk, stand, bend, stoop and climb; to grasp, lift, carry and push/pull cleaning equipment, tools and supplies; and to perform the cleaning functions listed above, primarily in indoor environment, but also outdoors in inclement weather. See “Physical Requirements of the Job.”