Immediate supervisor: Technical Trades Coordinator
Summary: This position is responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of various College mechanical and control systems as described below. An individual holding the position of HVAC Technician/General Maintenance is part of the Facilities Management department of the College. Facilities Management’s workload varies from day to day, and occasionally employees will be required to perform work outside of their specific areas of responsibility. Availability for occasional overtime and emergency call-ins is required.
Responsibilities: The HVAC-R Technician is responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of the
HVAC, food service, and other mechanical equipment used to service classroom buildings, office buildings, residence halls, cafeterias, auditoriums, gymnasiums, and indoor swimming pools.
A list of the specific equipment and systems for which HVAC Technician/General Maintenance personnel are responsible includes, but is not limited to, air handling units, air filtration systems, fume hoods, exhaust fans, low-pressure steam boilers, hot water boilers, furnaces, variable air volume terminal units, radiant ceiling panels, unit ventilators, water heaters, freezers, coolers, commercial cooking equipment, variable frequency drives, ice machines, steam traps, condensate pumps, hydronic pumping systems, water chillers, energy management systems, fire alarm systems, key card systems, swim pool equipment, water treatment systems, and laundry equipment.
- High school graduation or equivalent degree required; associates degree or certificate in a related field preferred.
- Three or more years experience working on HVAC and related equipment.
- Demonstrated competence in the operation, repair and maintenance of HVAC and related equipment.
- Strong mechanical, electrical and electronic aptitudes, along with well-developed diagnostic and troubleshooting skills are a must.
- Certification for operation of refrigerant recovery systems is required.
- Ability to work productively with desktop, laptop and hand-held computers.
- Ability to read and understand construction documents and building blueprints.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals and apply this information.
- Ability to respond to after-hours calls.
- Hands-on experience with direct digital controls and building management systems, particularly Johnson Controls products, is preferred.
- The ability to work cooperatively as part of a team, as well as independently without close supervision is crucial.
- Must be able to drive and must possess and maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license and a driving record that complies with College policies.
- This is a physically demanding position. Requirements include but are not limited to the ability to move between and within campus buildings, to work indoors and outdoors in a full range of weather; to work in a variety of postures for extended periods, occasionally in confined spaces; to use a variety of tools with arms and hands; to lift as much as 75 pounds and push or pull 100 pounds; to climb ladders and work off of roofs and elevated platforms.
Kalamazoo College is a selective, nationally known liberal arts college offering students a personalized, integrated undergraduate experience known as the K-Plan that interweaves a traditional liberal arts curriculum with individualized research and experiential educational experiences in both domestic and international settings. Founded in 1833, Kalamazoo College is one of 40 dynamic Colleges That Change Lives, a group of 40 colleges that excel at developing potential, values and initiative, and provide the foundation for success beyond college. The campus is located midway between Chicago and Detroit in Kalamazoo, Michigan, a metropolitan community of 225,000 that supports four college and university campuses along with numerous civic arts and cultural associations. Thirty-five miles from Lake Michigan, the area offers many opportunities for outdoor activities.
An equal opportunity employer, Kalamazoo College is committed to equal rights, equal opportunities, and equal protection under the law. Please be invited to review our full EEO statement.