Immediate supervisor: Weekend Lead Custodian
Brief description: Cleaning all common spaces and restrooms in all residential halls and extended hour buildings. Must be able use a variety of cleaning products and to operate equipment including vacuums and Clorox T360 Machine. This position is scheduled for 20 hours per week.
Work assignments and schedules
- This assignment is for Saturday and Sunday from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm.
- Perform day-to-day custodial functions as assigned to assure that facility is maintained in a clean, safe and comfortable manner.
- Clean and sanitize furnishings, fixtures, ledges, etc.
- Clean and sanitize restroom fixtures, hardware, partitions, floors, etc.
- Clean windows/mirrors in bathrooms and entrance/exit ways.
- Clean floors, to include sweeping, dusting, damp/wet mopping, as scheduled.
- Clean carpets, to include vacuuming, shampooing, extracting, etc.
- Clean and sanitize in hallways, stairways and elevators.
- Discard waste/trash into proper containers and reline trash receptacles.
- Assure that work/assignment areas are clean and that equipment is properly stored at all times.
Safety and sanitation
- Assure that assigned work areas are maintained in a clean, safe, comfortable and attractive manner.
- Responsible for reading labels and MSDS sheets on all cleaning supplies before using and following
- Report any damage to facility through work order system.
Equipment and supply functions
- Assure that equipment is cleaned and properly stored at the end of the shift.
- Assist others in lifting heavy equipment, supplies, etc. as directed or requested.
- Assure that an adequate supply of housekeeping supplies to perform daily tasks are maintained in utility/janitorial closets and keep supervisor informed of supply needs.
- Clean work/supply carts, equipment, etc. as directed.
- High school diploma or equivalent degree required.
- Ability to read, write and understand written labels and directions.
- Ability and willingness to follow work directions and safety rules, including use of personal protective equipment.
- Following training, must be able to work without constant supervision.
- Must maintain neat appearance.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license and a driving record in compliance with College driving policies.
- Requires flexibility and dependability, and ability and willingness to work cooperatively as part of a team.
- Ability and willingness to work assigned schedule.
- Must be physically able to move within and between campus buildings and to regularly perform very active work for daily ten hour shifts; to walk, stand, bend, stoop and climb; to grasp, lift, carry and push/pull cleaning equipment, tools and supplies; and to perform the cleaning functions listed above, primarily in indoor environment, but also outdoors in inclement weather. See “Physical Requirements of the Job.”
Kalamazoo College is a selective, nationally known liberal arts college offering students a personalized, integrated undergraduate experience known as the K-Plan that interweaves a traditional liberal arts curriculum with individualized research and experiential educational experiences in both domestic and international settings. Founded in 1833, Kalamazoo College is one of 40 dynamic Colleges That Change Lives, a group of 40 colleges that excel at developing potential, values and initiative, and provide the foundation for success beyond college. The campus is located midway between Chicago and Detroit in Kalamazoo, Michigan, a metropolitan community of 225,000 that supports four college and university campuses along with numerous civic arts and cultural associations. Thirty-five miles from Lake Michigan, the area offers many opportunities for outdoor activities.
An equal opportunity employer, Kalamazoo College is committed to equal rights, equal opportunities, and equal protection under the law. Please be invited to review our full EEO statement by visiting https://www.kzoo.edu/about/nondiscrimination-policy