CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain. Cloth face coverings may slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Further, Michigan Executive Order 2020-97 requires that employees wear a facial covering when employees cannot consistently maintain six feet of separation from other individuals in the workplace. Kalamazoo College has facial coverings available for essential employees.
These handmade facial coverings come in either elastic loop or tie and in a variety of patterns and colors. Each facial covering is reversible and has a flexible metal insert for a customizable fit. If a facial covering is needed, it will come in a clear plastic bag through interoffice mail with a label for the intended recipient. Every effort will be made to meet communicated preferences and facial coverings will be distributed on a first come/first served basis. Questions may be directed to email@example.com.
Wear your Face Covering Correctly
- Wash your hands before putting on your face covering
- Put it over your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin
- Try to fit it snugly against the sides of your face
- Make sure you can breathe easily
Take Off Your Cloth Face Covering Carefully, When You’re Home
- Untie the strings behind your head or stretch the ear loops
- Handle only by the ear loops or ties
- Fold outside corners together
- Place covering in the washing machine (learn more about how to wash cloth face coverings)
- Be careful not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth when removing and wash hands immediately after removing.
How to Clean
- You can include your face covering with your regular laundry.
- Use regular laundry detergent and the warmest appropriate water setting for the cloth used to make the face covering.
Washing by Hand
- Prepare a bleach solution by mixing:
- 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) household bleach per gallon of room temperature water or
- 4 teaspoons household bleach per quart of room temperature water
- Check the label to see if your bleach is intended for disinfection. Some bleach products, such as those designed for safe use on colored clothing, may not be suitable for disinfection. Ensure the bleach product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser.
- Soak the face covering in the bleach solution for 5 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water.
Make sure to completely dry cloth face covering after washing.
How to Dry
Dryer: Use the highest heat setting and leave in the dryer until completely dry.
Air Dry: Lay flat and allow to completely dry. If possible, place the cloth face covering in direct sunlight.
Anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance should not wear a facial covering.