Title: Assistant/Associate Director of Development (Major Gift Officer)
Immediate supervisor: Senior Associate Director of Development
Position summary: The Assistant/Associate Director of Development identifies, qualifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards annual, major and planned gifts from alumni, parents, and friends of Kalamazoo College with major gift capacity in their assigned geographical regions.
- Manage a geographically-diverse portfolio of qualified major outright and planned gift prospects.
- Personally contact and visit these donors and prospects based on goals that are set annually.
- Solicit annual and major gifts (outright and planned) from donors.
- Develop and implement cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies in accordance with institutional standards.
- Complete reporting in a timely manner, including itineraries, contact reports and expense reports.
- Work closely with prospect management and research staff to ensure that donors have well-documented and comprehensive records.
- Respond to referrals of major gift and planned giving prospects in a timely manner.
- Participate in advancement staff meetings, prospect strategy sessions, and other relevant meetings on an as-needed basis.
- Staff homecoming and commencement weekend activities (required) and other campus events on an as-needed basis.
- Coordinate and staff events in assigned geographical areas as appropriate.
- Participate in professional activities to stay current with trends in the development field.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising with a minimum of three years of experience, preferably in higher education.
- Extensive travel is required by car and by plane, along with occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to articulate the value of an undergraduate liberal arts college experience.
- Ability to forge strong working relationships with others and a capacity for engaging confidence and trust among prospects and donors.
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication and presentations.
- High motivation for success coupled with diplomacy, tact, and consistent follow through.
- Willingness and ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Participation in homecoming and commencement weekend activities required.
- A valid driver’s license and a driving record in accord with College policy.
- Full list of Kalamazoo College benefits
- Excellent health and wellness benefits