Title: Associate Director of Facilities Management
Department: Facilities Management
Immediate supervisor: Director of Facilities Management
This is a mid-level management position responsible for the oversight of maintenance and day-to-day operation of all campus facilities, specifically the buildings, equipment and grounds. With the Director and the Administrative and Custodial Services Manager, the Associate Director forms the Facilities Management Team responsible for strategic planning, budget oversight, project scheduling, and the quality of department services. The individual in this position shall manage with a strong orientation towards preventative maintenance, occupational safety, environmental responsibility and building an inclusive workplace.
- Direct supervision of the Architectural Trades, and Technical Trades Coordinators, Fleet Mechanic, Grounds and Utility functions.
- Oversight of work management and scheduling for trades and grounds areas
- Oversight of operating budget for trades and grounds areas
- Ensure training for hourly employees in trades and grounds areas
- Regulatory compliance including but not limited to IBC, NFPA, and MIOSHA standards and the handling of special waste or hazardous materials, serves as department environmental health and safety manager
- Procurement and oversight (contract management) of contracted trades and grounds services
- Implementation of deferred maintenance reduction strategies
- Administration of the Computerized Maintenance Management System, including building equipment records and preventative maintenance orders; monitoring response time and performance
- Assist the Director in organizing and maintaining facilities data including but not limited to energy use, construction documents and GIS mapping
- Assist the Director as needed in the planning and management of major capital projects
- Assume the responsibilities of the Director when he/she is away from campus
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and ten years management level experience in facilities maintenance and management.
- Proven leadership and organizational abilities in a facilities operations environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with various members of the Kalamazoo College community, including students, faculty, staff and contractors
- Strong performance management skills and a commitment to career growth
- Working knowledge of the maintenance requirements for campus infrastructure including but not limited to: central steam and chilled water plants; storm water management; landscape management; parking lots and roadways, plumbing systems, HVAC&R systems, electrical distribution systems; building envelope integrity; temperature controls and building management systems; life safety technology
- Familiarity and competence in Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, Power Point, Adobe Acrobat and AutoCAD
- Working knowledge of construction and facilities documentation
- Strong commitment to sustainable and energy efficient plant operations
- Knowledge of OSHA/MIOSHA standards and experience overseeing worker safety programs with a commitment to promote safe working conditions
- Ability to maintain financial/purchasing controls and history of meeting deadlines
- Physical requirements of the job include ability to work in an office environment with extensive use of computers and phones; ability to read, write and handle paper documents; ability to move about extensively within a multi-building campus environment to access multiple building levels and physical/mechanical plant and equipment areas; willingness and ability to travel occasionally for training programs; a valid driver’s license and a driving record in compliance with College policy.