Alcohol Policy: Use of Campus Facilities

Related information may be found by visiting the Alcohol and Drug Policy Notification page.

The alcohol policy for non-student groups considers alcoholic beverages as an amenity for social or business occasions, not as the focus or purpose of an occasion. Any group or sponsoring entity wishing to include alcohol as part of an event must abide by state and local laws relevant to alcohol, to the alcohol policy included in the Student Code of Conduct, and to the requirements that follow.

For purposes of this policy, internal groups include College employees, trustees, as well as alumni and families participating in College-sponsored events. External groups include individuals who have no formal relationship with the College. 

During the academic year, the College’s residence halls are designated as alcohol-free and cannot be reserved for events in which alcohol will be served. Exceptions will be considered during break periods and/or times when students are not in residence. As a general practice, the Hicks Student Center is also an alcohol-free facility during the academic year. 

The College’s objective with the following policies is to permit successful, enjoyable and safe events. 

General policies and guidelines (for both internal and external groups) 

  1. Groups reserving campus space for occasions that include alcohol must complete the Registration and Activities Form for Events Serving Alcohol . Plans for compliance with all applicable policies and laws are required as part of the registration process. Information about food and non-alcoholic beverages must be included as part of the registration process. (Small informal celebrations are exempt from completing the form.)
  2. All groups (both internal and external) are expected to coordinate the dispensing of alcohol through the dining services provider as follows:
    1. As a general rule, alcohol must be dispensed by a bartender employed or recommended /approved by the campus dining services provider, who is certified in Michigan Responsible Serving and who is paid by the sponsoring group. (Small informal celebrations are exempt from using a bartender.)
    2. Dining services provider will make arrangements for purchasing and securing alcohol as follows:
      1. All campus-based groups must coordinate the purchase, storage and dispensing of alcohol through the dining services provider. (Dining services provider will arrange for department to be billed directly.)
      2. All external groups (weddings, etc.) are required to supply their own alcohol, but must coordinate the storage and dispensing of the alcohol through the dining services provider.
    3. On rare occasions, groups may seek to sponsor “bring your own” events that include alcohol. These requests should be submitted 30 days in advance of the planned event, and must include:
      1. Description of the planned event.
      2. Rationale for the event as a “bring your own” occasion.
      3. Detailed information about the type and amount of alcohol. Singlesource containers, such as kegs, are not permitted.
  3. Food and non-alcoholic beverage options are required at all events in proportion to the number of people and the amount of alcohol served. All groups are strongly encouraged to utilize the dinning services provider for the purchase of food and non-alcoholic beverages. For events in the Hicks Center, all groups must use the dining services provider when food is served in Hicks, with the exception of areas in Hicks designated for student groups.
  4. If a group/sponsoring entity intends to provide alcoholic beverages for sale (by drink or through the use of an entrance fee, cover charge, donations, collection, or similar consideration), the sponsoring group must secure a permit to do so from the State of Michigan (see address below) at least 14 days prior to the approved event. (Please note that the permit process may take up to six weeks)

    Michigan Liquor Control Commission (MLCC)
    7150 Harris Drive, P.O. Box 30005
    Lansing, MI 48909-7505
    1. If a group/sponsoring entity intends to provide alcoholic beverages to guests without charge (that is, with no per-drink charge, entrance fee, cover charge, donation, collection or similar consideration), no permit from the State of Michigan is required.
    2. A minimum of 14 days prior to a scheduled event, groups unaffiliated with Kalamazoo College must submit to the Events Scheduling Office proof of liability insurance with minimum coverage of $1,000,000. In addition, the College reserves the right to require groups to provide a certificate of insurance naming Kalamazoo College as an “additional insured” a minimum of 14 days prior to the event. 

Approved by President’s Staff 8/14/2012